Thursday, September 4, 2008

3 Pie Crusts

1. This first pie crust I used to use to make for my pies. It's very good and flaky. It's in the Betty Crocker Cook Book.
2. The second pie crust is also very good and flaky. It makes crusts for 5 or 6 pies. My friend, Helen, gave this recipe to me.
3. The third pie crust recipe is the one I use now because it's better for folks with heart problems (Jerry). It's also very flaky. It's in the Betty Crocker Cook Book.

1. Standard pastry for two crust pie.

2 c. flour I use Gold Medal flour.
1 tsp salt
2/3 + 2 Tbsp shortening I use Crisco.
1/4 c. water

Mix flour and salt.
Cut the shortening in with a pastry blender
or with two table knives. I think this step is the most important step in making a good flaky pie crust. Cut until it's the size of large peas.
Add the water, a little at a time, mixing with a fork until it's all moistened.
Gather the dough, it should clean the bowl.
Press it into a ball and divide in half.
Roll out on a flour covered surface.

2. Pie Crust for six pies.

4 c. flour
1T sugar
1T vinegar
1/2 c water
1 3/4 c shortening
2 t salt
1 egg

Cut flour and shortening with pastry blender or two knives into a fine mixture.
Beat egg, add vinegar and water to egg.
Mix with flour.
Form into ball. Break off amount needed and refrigerate the rest.
Roll out on flour covered surface.

3. Stir-N-Roll Pastry for two crust pie.

2 c. flour
1 t salt
1/2 c cooking oil I use olive oil.
1/4 c cold milk

Mix flour and salt.
Pour oil into a measuring cup. Add the milk to the oil but don't stir.
Then pour oil/milk mixture into flour all at once.
Stir with a fork until all mixed. Press into a ball and cut in two.
Roll out on a sheet of waxed paper, also covered with a sheet wax paper. No mess!

No comments: